Amanda-Users

Re: Problems starting amanda services with xinetd on Ubuntu

2006-03-26 12:34:08
Subject: Re: Problems starting amanda services with xinetd on Ubuntu
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 12:30:18 -0500
On Sunday 26 March 2006 11:41, stan wrote:
>I'm trying to set up an Ubunti machine as an amada server. I've
> installed the xinetd package, and created the files in /etc/xinetd.d.
> Here is an example of one of these files:
>

>service amanda
>{
> disable   = no
> socket_type  = dgram
> protocol  = udp
> wait   = yes
> user   = amanda
> group   = amanda
> groups    = yes
> server   = /opt/amanda/libexec/amandad }
>
>But, I;m getting the following error in syslog when I restart xinetd:

I think you nedd to move the closing brace to its own line, else it may
become part of the server address path.

>Mar 26 11:20:37 localhost xinetd[9333]: Reading included configuration
> file: /etc/xinetd.d/amanda [file=/etc/xinetd.conf] [line=11] Mar 26
> 11:20:37 localhost xinetd[9333]: attribute server expects 1 values
> and 2 values were specified [file=/etc/xinetd.d/amanda] [line=10] Mar
> 26 11:20:37 localhost xinetd[9333]: incomplete entry
> [file=/etc/xinetd.d/amanda] [line=11] Mar 26 11:20:37 localhost
> xinetd[9333]: missing } in last service entry
> [file=/etc/xinetd.d/amanda] [line=11]

As it effectively says here.

FWIW, all 3 of those files can be combined into one /etc/xinetd.d/amanda
file as follows:
---------------------------
# default = off
#
# This is the list of daemons & such it needs
service amanda
{
 disable = no
 socket_type = dgram
 protocol = udp
 wait  = yes
 user  = amanda
 group  = disk
 groups  = yes
 server  = /usr/local/libexec/amandad
}
service amandaidx
{
 disable = no
        socket_type     = stream
        protocol        = tcp
        wait            = no
        user            = amanda
        group           = disk
        groups          = yes
        server          = /usr/local/libexec/amindexd
}
service amidxtape
{
 disable = no
        socket_type     = stream
        protocol        = tcp
        wait            = no
        user            = amanda
        group           = disk
        groups          = yes
        server          = /usr/local/libexec/amidxtaped
}
Which had no good reason other than it seemed to make sense to me at the
time.  xinetd doesn't care one way or the other.

message by Gene Heskett are: