Amanda-Users

Re: how to split partitions

2006-03-17 07:42:10
Subject: Re: how to split partitions
From: listrcv <listrcv AT condor-werke DOT com>
To: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 13:36:58 +0100
Paul Bijnens wrote:

Try this:

prometheus   /home/ALL_a   /home  {
                                          tar-dfault-no-x
                      include "./a*"
                  }  1
prometheus   /home/ALL_b   /home  {
                      tar-dfault-no-x
                      include "./b*"
                  }  1
... etc etc ...
prometheus   /home/ALL_z   /home  {
                      tar-dfault-no-x
                      include "./z*"
                  }  1
prometheus   /home/REST    /home  {
                      tar-dfault-no-x
                      exclude append "./[a-z]*"
                   }  1

The following does _not_ work as it should:

prometheus      /share_dbvnr /share {
  tar-dfault
  include "./db-vnr"
}       1

prometheus      /share_edv /share {
  tar-dfault
  include "./edv"
}       1

prometheus      /share_programs /share {
  tar-dfault
  include "./programs"
}       1

prometheus      /share_rest /share {
  tar-dfault
  exclude append "./cpc ./cs ./data ./db-vnr ./edv ./programs"
}       1

It will dump the subdirectories as specified, but excluding the subdirectories results in another dump of everything under /share which I don't want because it will no longer fit on a single tape soon.

This is probably because tar is being told to archive /share and to exclude the directories listed which will result in archieving them nonetheless, exactly as it was in the testing of tar options I did yesterday.

How do I catch the rest?

It does work for backing up /home:

[...]
prometheus /home_y /home {
  tar-dfault
  include "./y*"
}       1

prometheus /home_z /home {
  tar-dfault
  include "./z*"
}       1

prometheus /home_rest /home {
  tar-dfault
  exclude append "./[a-z]*"
}       1

How comes that it works for /home but not for /share? I have stopped using wildcards on /share because I'm getting

dumper: FATAL error [dumper PORT-DUMP: too many args: 19 != 12]

in the report. My idea was that spaces in filenames give me trouble, but not using wildcards didn't help neither the problem with the number of arguments, nor dumping /share twice.

How can I find out what causes the problem with the arguments?

GH