Amanda-Users

Re: Ultrium tapetype

2006-03-15 09:56:24
Subject: Re: Ultrium tapetype
From: Graeme Humphries <graeme.humphries AT vcom DOT com>
To: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 08:52:16 -0600
Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:

> Well, you have to be careful with LTO3.  You want to feed the tape at
> at least 1/2 native speed (native speed is rated to be 80MB/s).
> Slower than that, and the drive will have to start and stop the tape
> frequently (aka shoe-shining), which is bad for both tapes and the
> drive (and capacity, for that matter).  This generally means actually
> putting some thought/$$ into the backup server's disk system.

Yep, I'm not having any problems there, I've got some SATA discs in RAID
0 for the dump drives, so they can blast out at 60+MB/sec.

> For amdump and friends, blocksize is set in the tapetype.  For
> amtapetype, you can set it on the command line.  'man amanda.conf' and
> 'man amtapetype' are your friends.

Cool, I'll look into that, I'm actually upgrading out backup server
today, so now's a good time to play with that. Thanks!

Graeme

--
Graeme Humphries (graeme.humphries AT vcom DOT com)
(306) 955-7075 ext. 485

My views are not the views of my employers.