Amanda-Users

Re: Please advice

2006-03-14 11:42:03
Subject: Re: Please advice
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Nathanel Sulimanov <nathanels AT biocontrol.co DOT il>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 17:36:05 +0100

You are still sending html mails to a mailing list,
and please avoid quoting everything, including my signature...
  ( http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html )

On 2006-03-14 16:32, Nathanel Sulimanov wrote:
The case is following:

I have 2 servers.

Alpha server is production server.

Beta server is a backup server with “DLT tape” , daily backups done from alpha to local HD on beta, and alpha Weekly backup done once a week to DLT.

Confusing...
production - backup: Is that in the Amanda sense or in the application sense?
I guess in the application sense  (then that does not matter to Amanda).

So you have Beta server configured as the amanda server, is that correct?

How do you make daily backups from Alfa to local HD on beta?
rsync or similar?  Or amanda vtapes?

Now, the level 0 (full) fails on /home due to the error in the first event.

Confusing...
"The first event"...?
Do you mean the error "renaming ...: No such file or directory"?

I did looked at the log file, permission set in alpha server are correct: "/var/lib/amanda/gnutar-lists" (-rw------- 1 amanda disk)

Confusing...
/var/lib/amanda/gnutar-lists  should be a directory.  I guess you mean
that the files inside it have those permissions.

Moreover, I was expecting you to list all of it, or at least
see if the .new file, claiming to be missing, was still there.
Also what is the last modification date of any files in there, and
of the directory itself?
Is that the time that you last run something?
The last time that is ran without problems?  etc.

Somehow level 0 fails not only for /home but also for other folders...

Here the part of log where the error occurred:

That part of the log is from a log on the Amanda server.
As already said, you should look in the debug files on the CLIENT
in /tmp/amanda/*.debug fiels where there are maybe more details.

driver: result time 28778.245 from dumper0: FAILED 01-00041 [renaming /var/lib/amanda/gnutar-lists/alphacentauri_home_0.new to /var/
lib/amanda/gnutar-lists/alphacentauri_home_0: No such file or directory]

This message is just received from the client, and amanda just reports it. But maybe the client debug files contain more details.
Look especially in the files names

   /tmp/amanda/sendbackup.datetime.debug

where you should see at least the same error message.  And look before
in that file to find out if the creation of the .new file had trouble
or to spot anything else suspicious.

When the backup is running for a level 0, you probably have plenty of
time to verify manually if that "*.new" is there, and then see if
it disappears suddenly (and when -- and why).

--
Paul Bijnens, xplanation Technology Services        Tel  +32 16 397.511
* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *