Amanda-Users

Re: Sizes don't fit?

2006-03-13 11:50:21
Subject: Re: Sizes don't fit?
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 11:46:04 -0500
On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 04:45:31PM +0100, . wrote:
> Paul Bijnens wrote:
>
> >>How can a _full_ dump of a 93 MB partition (/) make for an
> >>uncompressed size of 40 MB? The dump of the /home partition is
> >>likewise weird.

Is your root FS used for other, non-file storage, things as well?
For example, have you allocated some swap space there.  Is that
the file system that also is used for making pipes.  Are some
files opened and immediately removed by some applications so
that their names no longer appear but the file and space is
still usable until the application terminates?  Are any database
managers using that space?

> >Any files missing in the backup?
>
> There's so many files on the server, how can I tell if some are missing?

Make lists of the files, sort them, then use diff, diff3, or comm
to compare the lists.  One list would generated by find with options
preventing it from crossing to other file systems.  Another could be
your index file for that DLE.  A third would be an extraction from
tape of the TOC for that DLE.

Once you have the lists you may have to do a little touch-up.  One
may start each line with "./" another may not.  You have to get them
consistant.  Then run sort on each list and do comparisons with the
commands I mentioned above.

> >Any files having a weird small (0?) size in the backup that is
> >not zero in the filesystem?
>
> What's the best way to check that?

Similar analysis could be done on the sizes of the files by
generating and touching up the lists differently.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)