Amanda-Users

Re:One DLE too many!

2006-03-10 13:44:25
Subject: Re:One DLE too many!
From: Vytas Janusauskas <vytas AT dendron DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 13:38:25 -0500
Hi All,

I have been using Amanda (current version 2.4.4p3) for the last couple of years without any major issues. However recently due to an influx of new projects the volume of data has grown. What is happening is that users are adding new directories to the data servers and not notified me. So all of a sudden some of my DLEs which have been merrily archiving have started to exceed my available tape capacity. I have toyed with the idea of using tar excludes to address this issue, unless I am missing something would I have to create a separate DumpType for each DLE?

For better illustrate the issue for the following DLE they added the 40G Nova Scotia Photos directory. I was planning on breaking up the DLE listed below into 8 individual entries but that may lead to problems of handling the directories with whitespaces in their names. If I was just dealing with a few DLEs separating them into smaller chunks would not be an issue, however I have already fragmented my data into 240 + DLEs.

hal /mnt/data06/Deforest3 comp-user-tar 87

hal:/mnt/data06# du -h --max-depth=1 Deforest3
248K    Deforest3/AirPhoto Load Tool
40G     Deforest3/Nova Scotia Photos
2.7G    Deforest3/delivery
1.8G    Deforest3/NS_Oblique_Aerials
6.4G    Deforest3/Imagery
17M     Deforest3/Received
1.6M    Deforest3/Quality Control
28G     Deforest3/NAPL
78G     Deforest3

Any suggestion of how best to deal with this situation is greatly appreciated.

Vytas

Vytas Janusauskas
Dendron Resource Surveys Inc.
880 Lady Ellen Place,  Suite 206