Amanda-Users

Re: If most recent backup is not level 0, recovery fails to bring back all files when directories have been renamed

2006-03-08 12:09:54
Subject: Re: If most recent backup is not level 0, recovery fails to bring back all files when directories have been renamed
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: AMANDA Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 12:05:07 -0500
On Wed, Mar 08, 2006 at 04:21:42PM +0000, Dave Ewart wrote:
> On Wednesday, 08.03.2006 at 10:27 -0500, Ian Turner wrote:
>
> > This does not appear to happen with CVS tar in listed-incremental mode.
> > Please
> > try upgrading your tar and check if you still see this behaviour.
> >

> OK, you've hit the nail on the head:

[snip]

> A new tar is indeed the answer it seems.

So, rather than use "listed-incremental" to recognize
it is a renamed directory, gnutar's behavior is to
consider then entire directory tree "changed" and
back up the entire tree.

Reading this thread reminded me of another one where
the poster was complaining about this "feature" of
gnutar.  That poster has a lot of rotating log dirs
that were quite large.  They were rotated by renaming
them each night (log.2 becomes log.3, log.1 -> log.2 etc.)
Their complaint was that the data in the directory WAS
being backed up each night though it was unchanging.

Be nice if gnutar could deal with both needs.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)