Amanda-Users

Re: Self check failing - what happens when you have duplicate amanda UID's

2006-02-26 09:26:36
Subject: Re: Self check failing - what happens when you have duplicate amanda UID's
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 09:19:56 -0500
On Sun, Feb 26, 2006 at 06:09:21AM -0500, Lengyel, Florian wrote:
> This is a success story, in case anyone moves their NIS server and finds,
> to their dismay, duplicate amanda entries in their passwd file. One of them
> has to go. The problem is that one of the servers may have depended on it...

Your story sounds like an ordered trouble-shooting sequence.
Nice work.

> I had such a machine: it  kept failing its self-check.
>
> This was after a duplicate passwd entry for amanda was found.
>
> [amanda@amanda ~]$ amcheck Daily
> Amanda Tape Server Host Check
> -----------------------------
> Holding disk /var/tmp/amanda: 14875232 KB disk space available, that's plenty
> amcheck-server: slot 17: date 20060128 label Daily017 (exact label match)
> NOTE: skipping tape-writable test
> Tape Daily017 label ok
> NOTE: info dir /var/lib/amanda/Daily/curinfo/nept.gc.cuny.edu: does not exist
> NOTE: index dir /var/lib/amanda/Daily/index/nept.gc.cuny.edu: does not exist
> Server check took 36.012 seconds
>
> Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
> --------------------------------
> WARNING: nept.gc.cuny.edu: selfcheck request timed out.  Host down?
> Client check: 8 hosts checked in 30.142 seconds, 1 problem found
>
> (brought to you by Amanda 2.4.4p3)
> [amanda@amanda ~]$
>
> After removing it, and looking at the documentation, I was directed to look at
> /tmp/amanda
>
> But this directory was owned by the former amanda, now an orphaned UID.

Did amcheck/amdump indicate incorrect ownership?  If not,
I wonder if (for admin friendliness) the code that checks
should make a more explicit check of ownership and permissions
and indicate the problem(s).

> So I removed /tmp/amanda
>
> After this I had a missing gnutar-lists subdirectory in /usr/local/var/amanda
> Easy enough to fix
>
> A third amcheck Daily resulted in success!

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)