Amanda-Users

Re: Slow dump of small directory...

2006-02-23 07:03:40
Subject: Re: Slow dump of small directory...
From: Toralf Lund <toralf AT procaptura DOT com>
To: Alexander Jolk <alexj AT buf DOT com>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 12:59:23 +0100

Any idea why I get the following?

fileserv:/usr/freeware/etc/openldap 1 32k dumping 0k ( 1.53%) (11:32:10)

This is from amstatus on a currently running dump, and the time is now

# date
Thu Feb 23 12:32:35 CET 2006

I mean, why does this dump take so long?

I get these very often.

Yeah, me to. I meant to say, this (i.e. a *long* time apparently spent on small dumps) is the normal situation - not something exceptional I'm seeing right now.

Your dump isn't really taking so long, in fact it's been finished for quite some time. For tiny (essentially empty) dumps, amstatus sometimes doesn't seem to notice them being finished. I haven't investigated any further.

Right...

What's strange, though, is that the amdump as been busy for *hours* working only on a relatively small number of tiny dumps (I mean, after some other, larger dumps were done.) So, doesn't amdump itself notice that they are finished, either? Or should I expect that the incremental dump takes long even though it is "empty", when the directory itself (or size of a full dump, if you like) is very large? I mean, the directory I mentioned does not contain a lot of data, but some of the others being "busy dumping" for a long time hold several gigabytes, but also have no updated files.

- Toralf