Amanda-Users

encryption with 2.5.0b2

2006-02-22 17:55:22
Subject: encryption with 2.5.0b2
From: Josef Wolf <jw AT raven.inka DOT de>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 23:46:03 +0100
Hello!

Now that 2.5.0b2 seems to run pretty stable, I'd like to try the new
encryption functionality.  I've read wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Encryption,
but have still some questions:

- What is the point to uuencode and encrypt (with gpg) random data to
  generate the key?  Since the passphrase is stored on the same host,
  protecting the key with the passprase is not of much use (IMHO).

- Why using aespipe at all?  Is there any reason not to use gpg?
  AFAICS, aespipe introduces only an additinal layer of complexity.

- Since the server says whether/which encryption is to be used, the
  server can request unencrypted backups from the client.  This
  implies that the server has to be trusted.

Comments?