Amanda-Users

Re: Rebuilding amanda for a new tar version

2006-02-10 16:49:08
Subject: Re: Rebuilding amanda for a new tar version
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 16:44:13 -0500
On Friday 10 February 2006 16:28, Guy Dallaire wrote:
>I've just discovered that tar 1.14 might actually be buggy. On many of
>my linux boxes (clients and server) I have gnu tar 1.14 or 1.13.25
>
>I'm understanding that I should instead download the latest tar
>version (or 1.15) and install this in /usr/local/bin and use this
>instead of the system's default in /usr/bin
>
>That's what I did for my solaris boxes.

Thats what I did for 1.15-1 here too.  Works a treat.

>Now, amanda is configured and running just fine.
>
>I will only have to redo the config using
>--with-gnutar=/usr/local/bin/tar on my linux box and then re-make
>amanda using the same parameter I used originally.
>
>The question I have is:
>
>When I will do the "make install" at the end, will it overwrite my
>amanda configuration files and disklists etc ?

No.  I've been makeing and installing the latest snapshot of whats now
the 2.4.5 series for several years now, and its never touched my
existing configs.  But you will need to run an extra ldconfig after the
install to get all the linkages right.  And occasionally go into the
library dirs amanda uses and clean out the older versions just to save
drive space.

>Thanks

You're welcome.

message by Gene Heskett are: