Amanda-Users

Re: Exclude usine dump?

2006-02-08 17:10:33
Subject: Re: Exclude usine dump?
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 17:02:10 -0500
On Wednesday 08 February 2006 09:42, Tom Brown wrote:
>Hi
>
>Using 2.4.5p1 on linux and wondering if its possible to exclude a
>directory from the backup using dump? I presume not and if not what
>would be the inpact of not having a holding disk?
>
>Scenerio is that i'm backing up a box and one of the partitions
> contains data that has to be backed up but also contains the holding
> disk. I presume that having the holding disk on a partition thats
> getting backed up is a bad thing.

In that event, excluding a dir is something dump cannot do so you will
need to use tar, and make individual dle's out of the subdirs in that
partition, or exclude the holding disk directory with the
usual ./name_of_dir pattern in either an exclude file named in the
dumptype, or in the dumptypes own option list.

Haveing smaller, individual directories as many dle's shrinks the data
per dle, and allows amanda to do a better job of balanceing over
extended time periods.  It has no effect on the total time to do the
backup that I've been able to detect.

AFAIK, there isn't any limit to the number of dle's you can define, I
have 48 ATM, but be sure and use spindle numbers to identify each
physical disk uniquely so that jobs on a given disk are properly
serialized, else the seeking for the different dirs will eat enough
time to slow the backup down a bit, and supposedly the drives will last
longer if the seek mechanism isn't thrashed so much.  I don't know if
the spindle numbers are reusable on a different client, so each disk
gets a different number here on general principles.

message by Gene Heskett are: