Amanda-Users

Re: A virtual tape question

2006-02-05 10:50:55
Subject: Re: A virtual tape question
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2006 10:46:56 -0500
On Sunday 05 February 2006 10:17, stan wrote:
>I'm preparing to upgrade an existing Amanda installation.
>
>It's been a while since I looked at what Amanda can do, since the
> existing system "just works". I'm considering using virtual tapes, in
> some fashion on the new system.
>
>These leads me to a question (perhaps the first of several). Reading
>through http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/File_driver It recommends
> putting the virtual tape disk(s) on a different server than the
> holding disk(s). Am I reading this correctly?

I don't think so, Stan.  But it is a very good idea to have the vtapes
on a seperate cable of the controller as that will speed things up
quite a bit by reducing cable contention issues.  I have my vtapes
on /dev/hdd, with the holdingdisk area on /dev/hda.  I also have a
small amount of /dev/hdd as swap, again for the same reason.

Ditto /var, for somewhat the same reason, and in case /dev/hda should go
read-only due to an error, I still have the log entries to tell me what
went toes up.  And that can be worth its weight in sliced bread or
bottled beer under those conditions. :)

>If so, how would I access these disks? NFS seems like a slow way of
> doing this.

Excruciatingly, since nfs has never worked here. :(

message by Gene Heskett are: