Amanda-Users

backup with vtapes

2006-02-02 00:27:51
Subject: backup with vtapes
From: Jeffrey Borg <jeffreyb AT futureschool.com DOT au>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 16:18:03 +1100
Hi,

We are currently using amanda on our lan here and it's working wonderfully.

We have a colocated server and we have 2 nfs mounts to backup to so I thought yes use amanda because then the reports are the same.

I tried to create 2 configurations where 1 configuration only does incremental backups (level 1-9) and a2nd configuratoin run once a week which does full backups (level 0)

The level 1-9 backups were to go to 1 set of vtapes (14 tapes) on 1st nfs mount (nightly backup) The level 0 backups are to go to a 2nd set of vtapes (2 tapes) on the 2nd nfs mount (weekly backup)

I did have the thought of using 14 tapes but symlink 2 of these tapes on the 2nd nfs mount, then set a really long period for dumpcycle. then when the current tape is pointed at the ones on the 2nd nfs mount (2 out of the 14 tapes) run "amadmin inconly force localhost" to force full backups onto that tape.

Would that work or would amanda do full backups onto the other nfs share?

Thanks

Jeffrey Borg