Amanda-Users

Re: question about holding.c

2006-01-31 18:02:59
Subject: Re: question about holding.c
From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <sgw AT amanda DOT org>
To: Wrrr10-G <werner AT orkz DOT net>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 23:53:45 +0100
Wrrr10-G schrieb:
Hi there,

I was wondering the following:

Is there a simple way to hack holding.c so the dumps are kept in the holdingdisk after amflush has finished streaming to tape?

I would like to hang on to these dumps for a while for fast restores.. but still have the tape for archiving purposes. I am aware that this greatly resembles an item on the wishlist: "Keep files on holding disk after taped, that will permit faster recovery because they will be from holding disk, these dump will be erased when the same is needed for newer dump."
but 'managing' the dumps myself would work fine for me.

If this is not the place to ask such questions about Amanda's functionality please tell me, and I will not bother you with it again.

thanx for your time,

Seems like you would really appreciate the VRAIT-setup Paul suggests:

Write stuff to physical AND vtapes in parallel ... (not exactly keeping files/dumps in holdingdisk, but anyway ... the result is the same)

Dig wiki.zmanda.com for details (until Paul hops in).

Stefan