Amanda-Users

Re: amdd/ammt usage

2006-01-29 12:29:30
Subject: Re: amdd/ammt usage
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 12:15:33 -0500
On Sunday 29 January 2006 10:28, Omer wrote:
>Hi
>
>I am writing wrapper scripts for amdump and amflush which add some
> extra files on the tape after a normal dump/flush. It's working fine
> but I would like to make this consistent with the files written by
> Amanda, with one header block for the label/comment, so I can restore
> them with the same amdd command (skip=1). I'm actually doing this:
>
>echo "AMANDA: EXTRA-START $start_date" | amdd bs=32k of="$TAPE"
> count=1 tar -cf - /extra/dir | amdd bs=32k of="$TAPE"
>echo "AMANDA: EXTRA-END" | amdd bs=32k of="$TAPE" count=1

This is a worthwhile idea, but one I wasn't able to effectively do here.
I'm just generating the files, a pair of them, and then dd'ing them to
the tape(or in my case the disk).  If you keep printouts then you'll
know how many fsf's you do to the tape to get to these files.

One suggestion I'd make is to change the generation such that its all
one file on the disk before doing the amdd operation that puts it on
the tape.

Then the question is, how to pad for a 32k header & trailer?  Maybe
something like this would do it:

echo "AMANDA: EXTRA-START $start_date"|amdd count=1 bs=32k
of=/path/to/scratch_file0

So this makes the header block, then:

tar -cf /extra/dir |amdd bs=32k of=/path/to/scratch_file1

Which should make the backup itself a 32k block size integral, then:

echo "AMANDA: EXTRA-END" |amdd count=1 bs=32k of=/path/to/scratch_file2

Doing ditto, then to combine it all:

cat /path/to/scratch_file0 /path/to/scratch_file1 /path/to/scratch_file2
>/path/to/final_copy

and finally, put it  on the tape

amdd if=/path/to/final_copy bs=32k of=$TAPE

And then:

rm -f /path/to/scratch_file* /path/to/final_copy

But I haven't tried that, based as much on the premise that if I need
them, then I am indeed in a bare metal recovery situation, and I'd be
just as well off using just dd, which in fact I am doing.  I can show
that easily because I'm using the FILE: type, and can access those
extra but sorely needed files just by doing an ls to get the filename
correct, and a dd to recover, or even untar them where they sit if need
be.  Tape users would need, in this case, to do an

mt fsf 49 -f /dev/nst0

to position the tape correctly.

Unforch ls sorts them needlessly here so I'll edit:

#>ls /amandatapes/Dailys/data
00000-Dailys-9
00000.Dailys-9
[...]
00049-TAPEEND
00049.TAPEEND
configuration.tar
indices.tar

indices.tar is the whole indice tree, and configuration.tar is the
complete /usr/local/etc/amanda/Daily tree. In recovering those with
tar, I now have all the config & indice details, and by grabbing /home
I then have the current snapshot and can install from there, then
recover the rest using all amanda tools.

>... which produce three distinct files on the tape. How can I merge
> the label and the tar file so I can restore it with:
>
>ammt bs=32k if=$TAPE skip=1 | tar -xf -
>
>?
>Thanks

I'm just thinking out loud here, in the hope that its helpefull.

message by Gene Heskett are: