Amanda-Users

Re: permission question

2006-01-27 16:25:18
Subject: Re: permission question
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Jens Theisen <jth01 AT arcor DOT de>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 22:20:12 +0100
Jens Theisen schreef:

I don't have a problem this time, but I'm curious:

The dump user on the clients is not required to have the permissions to read what he's backing up - read access to the devices is sufficient.

Still, we can exclude file-wise and have a TOC on the server afterwards.

How does this actually work? Sure, the information can be retrieved from the devices in principle, but only if one understands the underlying filesystem. Remounting should also be disallowed I presume.

There are two issues here.

If you backup with dump, then you need read access to the device files.
This is usually done by putting the amanda user in the same group as the device file and getting the group permission of the device file at
least readable.  Dump cannot exclude files.

When you use GNU-tar to backup, Amanda uses a suid-root executable
"runtar" in libexec. So amanda has effectively root access to the filesystem. GNU-tar is able to exclude files.

The TOC on the server is generated by duplicating the output stream
of dump or gnutar, and piping one stream to 'restore -t' or 'tar -t'.