Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda and Full metal restore

2006-01-11 09:27:34
Subject: Re: Amanda and Full metal restore
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org, mark.cooke AT twentyfive.co DOT uk
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 09:13:12 -0500
On Wednesday 11 January 2006 06:20, Mark Cooke wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I've just got amanda installed in Debian stable, using the file driver
>to a removable USB hard drive.
>So with this working I have decided to test a full metal restore; in
>case the server needs to be reinstalled at any point from scratch.
>
>So testing the set-up, I do one full backup (in this case /etc).
>export the amanda database using amadmin, delete the following
>directories contents, as these would not be present in a brand new
> install:
>
>/var/lib/amanda/gnutar-lists/*
>/var/lib/amanda/Daily/*
>/var/lib/amanda/amandadates (this I just remove the written dates).
>/var/log/amanda/Daily/*
>
>I then recreate the relevant Daily directories, in
>/var/lib/amanda and /var/log/amanda
>
>I leave the contents of /etc/amanda/Daily, as I would have this
> already set-up on a new install from an archived tarball, that is
> independent of the amanda set-up..
>
>I then import the backup amanda database, using:
>su backup -c "/usr/sbin/amadmin Daily import < export.db"
>
>This imports ok, as we now have the following directories and files:
>/var/lib/amanda/Daily/curinfo/localhost/_etc
>
>This goes fine; so I then try to do a restore:
>amrestore Daily
>I get a 501 Index directory /var/lib/amanda/Daily/index does not exist
>
>So I recreate this with the correct permissions.
>and try again and get the following error:
>Warning: no log files found for tape MediaSet14 written 2006-01-11
>
>After googling, I cannot seem to find anyone else having this problem
> at all. It could be I'm doing this the completely wrong way or
> missing one or two options.
>
>Any help or pushing me in the correct direction, would be greatly
>appreciated.

I had some problems along those lines very early on, years ago TBE, and
my solution was that because those files were either open and locked,
or weren't valid because they were being written to in real time,
amdump itself got wraped in a script that waited till amdump itself was
done, and then made tarballs of both the $config dir, and the amanda
data dir tree, and appended them to the tape.  In this manner, all the
data and configs on the tape were valid as of the date the tape was
made, not from the previous nights run, something I considered to be
major advantage in my personal "grand scheme of things".

The end result is that I could do (with 44 DLE entries) a rewind, an fsf
44 on the tape, dd the next two files back and unpack them to their
original locations, then locate, from the printed copy of the backup
run, the file number containing the /home tree, rewind, fsf to that
file and recover the /home dir to its original location, at which point
I could step into /home/amanda/amanda(latest snapshot) and do a make
install as it was already built when backed up.  Of course if I'm
recovering to an upgraded install, then I'd need to rerun the config
and build script as the user amanda also sitting there that built it in
the first place.

At that point, I have enough amanda to recover the rest using only
amanda's tools to do so.  I've done it a couple of times so far.

But frankly, for a home user with 3 machines to backup, the FILE type on
a big hard drive has been so far, many many times more dependable than
my old DDS2 tapes and drives ever were.  And, since its random access,
access to a given backup file is hundreds of times faster than when
using tapes.

I can send those scripts offlist if you'd like, but the caveat is that
they aren't pretty, and have a lot of dross still in them from when
they were being fine tuned originally.

Or, I'd sent Stephan W those and he may have cleaned them up, although I
think he just threw up his hands and gave up, I've not heard a lot
about them since.  But they Works For Me(TM) :)

>Thanks in advance
>
>Mark

message by Gene Heskett are: