Amanda-Users

Re: beep! (encryption, multiplexing...)

2005-12-29 14:27:46
Subject: Re: beep! (encryption, multiplexing...)
From: Paddy Sreenivasan <paddy AT zmanda DOT com>
To: amanda-hackers AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 11:21:01 -0800
On 12/29/05, Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com> wrote:

> Just because it's almost newyear, and I have seen The Light...
> (or was that just an illusion?)
>
> Some thoughts about the new proposed features, concerning:
>
> - multiplexing the data streams, error stream, index stream, over
>    one TCP connection (this would make passing firewalls and NAT
>    so much easier and safer)

Yes. Multiplexing the data streams/error stream/index stream over one
connection is a good idea.  Kevin Till has done some investigation in
this area. I hope he will comment on this.

> - encrypting the data stream between client and server (just being
>    discussed in a separate thread on -users, hence CC there too)

Doesn't SSH support in 2.5.0 address this issue?

> - stronger/alternative authentication (is that server really The One?
>    Currently needing kerberos I believe, which most people do not
>    even have!)

See above.

> What would people find of implementing BXXP as alternative
> for the new generation Amanda server/client protocols?

2.5.0b1 has client/server communication abstracted out as an API called
secure API (http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Secure_API). We should look at
enhancing this API instead of creating new API.

Paddy

Amanda documentation: http://wiki.zmanda.com
Amanda forums: http://forums.zmanda.com