Amanda-Users

Re: Disappearing Dumps...

2005-12-19 20:45:14
Subject: Re: Disappearing Dumps...
From: Dan Brown <monkeypants AT shaw DOT ca>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 19:35:40 -0600

Whoops, this was meant to go to the entire list.

Gene Heskett wrote:
On Monday 19 December 2005 17:53, Dan Brown wrote:

I have recently just upgraded amanda an amanda installation from
2.4.4p1 and upgraded the backup host from RedHat 7.3 to Fedora FC4.

I've also conglomerated the backed up hosts from several
configurations which ran independantly of each other, into a single
configuration which amanda will manage itself (hopefully well).
Other than the move of all hosts from their respective configurations
into one, not much else has changed.

There is a host however in this new config whose backups magically
disappear after the first chunk.  This host is a temporary copy of
the old backup host, something which will sit in the backup rotation
for a month or two to ensure we don't need any files off of the
machine before it's completely wiped out.
Strangely enough, level 0 backups don't want to be dumped to the
holding disks either.  This is the mailout from amanda after the
backup attempt (I've removed all other hosts in order to debug
this).  The holding disks are 150GB and 50GB in size respectively,
both more than enough to hold any one part of the split up disks.

Ahh, but what is the value of the reserved keyword in your holdiingdisk definition section of your amanda.conf?

By default, all holdingdisk space is reserved for incremental backups, which prevents it from being used for level 0's. I have around 25GB free there, with a reserved setting of -500m, which means it can use all but the last 500 megs for level 0's.

Actually, I had initially forgotten to uncomment that a couple of days
ago and gotten the dumps rejected right away.  Right now, both the 150GB
and the 50GB disks are set to be filled up to capacity -1Gb.  I also
have only 30% of the disks (or is this the entire holding disk set?)
reserved for only incremental dumps.

Do I have to set this in each holding disk definition when I have more
than one holding disk?

---
Dan Brown
monkeypants AT shaw DOT ca