Amanda-Users

Re: Verify backup

2005-12-12 09:24:32
Subject: Re: Verify backup
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: "Montagni, Giovanni" <gmontagni AT manord DOT com>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 15:18:24 +0100
Montagni, Giovanni wrote:
I'm wondering if there's a command or a way to check if files backed up were written to tape cerrectly.

The amverify command, as explained in the docs, "determines if the tape is readable, but does not do any internal consistency check on the image."

But just before it says: "and pipes the output to a restore program (if available) with an option to create a catalogue of the backup.

For gnutar backups, it passes the image through "tar -t", producing a table of contents, which would trigger quiet a lot of internal errors
in the file.

How can i control if files are written correctly?

Doing a test restore from time to time.  (If you have enough "working"
users, then they will mess up a file now and then, and you'll be forced
to test a restore anyway. And if my "working" users forget that, there
also myself to mess something up from time to time too.)

Also, remember that, even if the backup is perfect, but you specified
the wrong top level directory in the disklist, the backup is still useless. Some errrors can only be caught by doing a test restore.

Specifying the wrong top level directory is easy!!!  Having a very large
disk, and splitting it up with DLE's like:

bigserver.example.com  /bigdisk/[a-m]*  comp-user-tar
bigserver.example.com  /bigdisk/[n-z]*  comp-user-tar

gives you the false impression, that you covered the whole alfabet.
But it omits files beginning with a number, with a dot, with an accented
character, etc.  (Tip: add an entry that is the opposite of the previous
instead:  "/bigdisk/[^a-m]*"  is OK.)

* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *
* F6, quit, ZZ, :q, :q!, M-Z, ^X^C, logoff, logout, close, bye, /bye, *
* init 0, kill -9 1, Alt-F4, Ctrl-Alt-Del, AltGr-NumLock, Stop-A, ... *