Amanda-Users

planner timeouts and udp packet size

2005-12-06 12:16:19
Subject: planner timeouts and udp packet size
From: Jean-Francois Malouin <Jean-Francois.Malouin AT bic.mni.mcgill DOT ca>
To: AMANDA users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 12:06:19 -0500
Hi,

I've got this amanda client (server and client at v2.4.5) with a 1.5TB
raid splitted/chunked in ~70 DLEs (using gtar) and some of them don't
make it to tape as the planner timeouts. Now, would someone be kind
enough to jolt my memory as to what is the relationship between UDP
packet size and the number/size of DLEs entries along with their
exclude list? The FAQ mentions something about this (UDP packet size
of 64Kb and "results missing") but that might not be quite up to date.

This raid partition has been splitted using quite a few 'exclude
append "./blah"' in the disklist and I wonder if it would be better to
have them in a file on the client side rather than explicitely in the
disklist file per se. Would that make any difference at all regarding
what get stuffed in the UDP packets at the estimate phase -- making
them smaller -- so that I wouldn't hit that hard limit?

I hope this makes sense :)

TIA,
jf