Amanda-Users

Re: Files garbages after restore :-(

2005-12-02 10:28:45
Subject: Re: Files garbages after restore :-(
From: Jehan PROCACCIA <Jehan.Procaccia AT int-evry DOT fr>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 16:15:08 +0100
Jon LaBadie wrote:

On Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 09:46:57AM +0100, Jehan PROCACCIA wrote:
Ram Krishnamurthy wrote:

Hi Jehan
What do you mean by
Since then, I fsck.ext3 -f the /var partition which caused me the
problems, it works fine now (last 3 days) ,
What works fine? The restore? Are you not seeing the file corruption anymore?
Yes the restore worked fine, but maybe it's not due to the fact that I run fsck, but only because since those last 3 days, nobody was manipulating the files while they were dumped !? Someone else on this list (Paul Bijnens) told me that it is most certainly due to that fact that I use dump to backup that partition , and if you read that :
http://dump.sourceforge.net/isdumpdeprecated.html
it could be a good explanation . so do you confirm that I should move to :

define dumptype root-tar {
  global
  program "GNUTAR"
  comment "root partitions dumped with tar"

Anyway, if you have other suggestion , I'll appreciate, because today my only solution is to move that backup from dump to tar . But will this solve definitly my problem, will tar create other ones ? which (tar/dump or soething else) is best finally ?

You really think there is a "universal best"?  Tar has its own problems
including increased time of backup and inability to handle some extended
types of file attributes.

Do your client OS/filesystem combos support ext3 snapshots?
Some recent ones do?  If so, you could set things up to make a
snapshot just before the amdump, use dump on that non-changing
snapshot, then delete the snapshot after the dump.
No, I never tried ext3 snapshots ! I never heard of it :-( , any links of where I can get information on that ? I suppose it depends on kernel versions ? on my redhat4 it's 2.6.9-22.0.1.ELsmp.
indeed that might be a good solution .