Amanda-Users

Tape size problem

2005-10-19 22:37:13
Subject: Tape size problem
From: "Lloyd Weehuizen" <lloyd AT sidhe.co DOT nz>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 15:34:50 +1300
I have been using Amanda to automate backups to a Ultrium LTO 2 device
for about a year now. Up until now there have been no issues and the
backups were easily fitting on the tapes. However lately the datasize is
going above 100Gig and for some reason Amanda is reporting it has
reached the end of the device even though it is a 200G native tape.

I've ensure'd hardware compression is off and even running an amtapetype
says the tape is only 100Gig.

amtapetype output:

root@tweek:~# amtapetype -e 200G -f /dev/nst0
Writing 512 Mbyte   compresseable data:  42 sec
Writing 512 Mbyte uncompresseable data:  45 sec
Estimated time to write 2 * 204800 Mbyte: 36000 sec = 10 h 0 min
wrote 3080192 32Kb blocks in 47 files in 7603 seconds (short write)
wrote 3178496 32Kb blocks in 97 files in 7613 seconds (short write)
define tapetype unknown-tapetype {
    comment "just produced by tapetype prog (hardware compression off)"
    length 97792 mbytes
    filemark 0 kbytes
    speed 13162 kps
}

Is the operating system ( Debian Linux - kernel 2.6.13 ) somehow
limiting the tape device size? Has anybody encountered this before I
have no idea how this is happening.

Thanks for your help.
Lloyd