Amanda-Users

Howto add a new host and disk to my Amanda backup server WARNING Host down! (emailserver).

2005-09-29 09:19:24
Subject: Howto add a new host and disk to my Amanda backup server WARNING Host down! (emailserver).
From: Chuck Amadi Systems Administrator <chuck AT smtl.co DOT uk>
To: Amanda List <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 14:08:03 +0100
Hi all

I have just been asked to add our email server to our Amanda server
backup.

I have installed the Amanda version 2.4.4p2 rpm using SuSE SLES 9 Yast2
and added the email server to disklist as below:

#/etc/amanda/DailySet1/disklist file:

# hostname  diskname or mountpoint dumptype # mounted as.

myserver.co.co.uk / root-tar # backup all myservers / and sub
directories (This works)

emailserver.co.co.uk /  root-tar # backup email servers / and sub
directories.

or have I for the emailserver list all the local dir after / i.e
emailserver.co.co.uk /usr  root-tar #/usr dir
emailserver.co.co.uk /local  root-tar #/local dir

Thus enabled xinetd amanda, amadaidx and amidxtape.
Thus checked that the emailserver can participate with the amanda backup
server over the network exspecailly the amanda client utility amanda.

amanda          10080/tcp  # Amanda
amanda          10080/udp  # Amanda
amandaidx       10082/tcp
amidxtape       10083/tcp

I have run amcheck and I get this error have I missed anything.

Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
--------------------------------
WARNING: emailserver.co.co.uk: selfcheck request timed out.  Host down?
Client check: 2 hosts checked in 30.167 seconds, 1 problem found

I have added the emailserver to my main backup server named myserver.
root@myserver:/var/lib/amanda # less .amandahosts
localhost amanda
localhost root
myserver.co.co.uk amanda
myserver.co.co.uk root
emailserver.co.co.uk amanda
emailserver.co.co.uk root

Also added emailserver to var/lib/amanda/.amandahosts file

root@emailserver:/var/lib/amanda # less .amandahosts
localhost root
emailserver.co.co.uk amanda
emailserver.co.co.uk root