Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda Over Firewall

2005-09-08 17:58:43
Subject: Re: Amanda Over Firewall
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 17:48:20 -0400
On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 01:45:24PM -0700, Paul Vander Griend wrote:

>  Hi,
>
>   We are trying to get Amanda to work over a firewall but are
> having a lot of trouble. Could anyone tell me what amanda
> requires to successfuly backup over a firewall? Right now I
> allow machines on the firewalled network to talk to the amanda
> server on port 10080. What other traffic is required?

Aside from several ports around 10080 (not just 10080) which are
used for initial contact, amanda needs some udp and tcp ports for
control communications and data transfer.  The number of ports
is, I believe, dependent on the number of clients and the max
number of simultaneous dumps.  If you want to restrict amanda to
only a certain port range, it must be compiled with that knowledge.

For further info visit the docs directory of your amanda source
or visit the documentation page at amanda.org.  Look for the
document called Port.Usage.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)