Amanda-Users

Re: Holding disk size question

2005-08-27 15:22:09
Subject: Re: Holding disk size question
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 14:43:33 -0400
On Sat, Aug 27, 2005 at 09:49:11AM -0700, Marcus wrote:
> In amanda.conf it says
> "If a dump is too big to fit on the holding disk than
> it will be written directly to tape."
>
> I'm hoping to write 200g at a time to DLT, and would
> like to stream it if possible. Does that mean I need
> 200g of holding disk? I scrounged up 20g, but another
> 180g doesn't look likely.

Is your "200g" all for single DLE?

Except for direct to tape, the image of a DLE dump is not
taped until the entire image is collected.

That passage should be understood as "if the image (possibly
compressed with gzip) of any DLE is estimated as too large
to fit the currently available holding disk space" then it
has to go directly to tape.

Given that the images must be collected somewhere before taping
(or go directly to tape) where other than the holding disk
would be possible?  Rhetorical, no response needed :)

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)