Amanda-Users

Re: Problem with backup of windows shares

2005-08-23 09:43:14
Subject: Re: Problem with backup of windows shares
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 09:32:04 -0400
On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 10:23:56AM +0200, tanguy yoann wrote:

> After, the login and the password are take in the file
> amandapass. There is no problem on that.
> The problem is that I have the same data on the two
> shares and the backup are different.
> The level 0 is the same but the level 1 is different.
> However, I add the same file to the two shares.
>
> //Yoann.neotip/backup level 1: 255 KB
> //Yoann.neotip/backup1 level 1: 6804 KB
>
> The backup of the second share is full. Why?

Seven MB, small share.  Likely for testing?

I'm probably going to show my great ignorance of PC's here,
but what the heck.

When long ago I was looking at the code or the docs something
I recall was that samba (or amanda) uses the PC file system's
?archive bit? to determine if a file needs an incremental or
not.  The dependency on this two-state "bit" is why you can't
do levels of incrementals.

Perhaps on the one system something other than amanda/samba
prevents (or causes) this archive bit to flip.  That would
be analogous to "touch"ing a file on a unix system and
making the file look like it needs backup.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)