Amanda-Users

Re: How do I deal with STRANGE backups ?

2005-08-23 04:02:58
Subject: Re: How do I deal with STRANGE backups ?
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 13:36:10 -0400
On Mon, Aug 22, 2005 at 12:53:19PM -0400, Jason 'XenoPhage' Frisvold wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>    I've relatively new to Amanda, and playing with backups in general.
> I've been able to get Amanda to back up my entire server farm (important
> bits only, no full OS backups), but I'm running into a problem..  Well,
> possibly a problem.  I get this in my Amanda report :
>
> FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
>  mail1      /etc lev 1 STRANGE
>

> I understand, basically, what that means.  In essence, the files are
> changing and/or being removed before the tar command finishes.  So, what
> is the proper way to deal with this?  Is this something to be concerned
> with?

Assuming that was the "strangeness", the specific files should be listed
elsewhere in the report.  Monitor them for a while.  You may find they
are spool files and other temporary files.  If so, who cares.  But also,
why are you backing up the directory containing tmp and spool files :)
Perhaps the exclude directive could help for file types (eg. *.tmp) or
for some directories.

If you find some important files are changing during backup, then you will
have to see if it happens during a lot of backups or just occasionally.
Based on that decide if you can live with it of need to deal with it
in some more complex way.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)