Amanda-Users

BSD Users: Barcode Readers w/ chio(1)/mtx(1) ?

2005-08-19 19:34:46
Subject: BSD Users: Barcode Readers w/ chio(1)/mtx(1) ?
From: "Brian A. Seklecki" <lavalamp AT spiritual-machines DOT org>
To: amanda <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 19:19:51 -0400 (EDT)

Some general questions regarding barcode support:

Is anyone using a barcode reader enabled tape changer on FreeBSD?

I can't seem to find any good posts in the archive with example output from "chio status -v" or "mtx status" on [Free]BSD w/ a working barcode reader.

If you have one, could you post the output?

I was reading about ANSI/ISO standard labels. I guess the standard that applies to (DLT for example) is "ANSI MH10.8M-1983 Code 39 (3 of 9)."

Some web sites offer printing of custom labels. Supposedly, the there is an ASCII string a serial number printed out by chio(1) in the format "<LABEL:SERIAL>".

There's also a separte remark FreeBSD chio man page regarding a 'voltag' command:

--
     voltag [-fca] <ET> <EU> [<label>] [<serial>]
         Change volume tag for an element in the media changer.  This com-

I'm curious how this relates to the physical bar code placed on the tape? Is this some sort of proprietary feature only supported by a select few tape drives? Such as a small meta-label written to the first block the tape similiar to the Amanda lablel? Jason Thorpe would probably know, but I'm not going to bug him since he's busy hacking on the NetBSD kernel >:}. The source code would also probably be revealing on this...

Supposedly, chio(1) can execute a command:

     # chio move voltag VOLUME01 drive 0

And the synopsis states:

     The voltag pseudo-element type allows the selection of
     tapes by their volume tag (typically a barcode on the tape).

I'm also curious: does this imply that the loader has a small cache in which barcode are in which slots/locations? Or is that cache in the kernel? Obviously the loader has a small cache (perhaps in an nvram) of which slots are occupied, OR the "chio status" sends a SCSI inquiry command which polls those sensors in hardware.

...and finally, when chio(1) attempts to move a tape based on it's "VOLTAG", is it using some cache of data from the loader nvram, or does that imply that the barcode reader has to go out and re-read each tape's label. Is the barcode label attached to the picker?

TIA,
        ~BAS