Amanda-Users

Re: Checking out amanda

2005-08-02 11:24:52
Subject: Re: Checking out amanda
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Marcus <ashogunnamedmarcus AT yahoo DOT com>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 11:16:18 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 at 7:51am, Marcus wrote

> -Per browsing the conf file, amanda includes tape set
> and rotation functionality. Is there a way to bypass
> or ignore this? My workflow will be to archive big
> chunks of stuff and set it aside forever, perhaps
> restore it once or twice. I'm interested in it's tape
> labelling and cataloging though, so I can keep track
> of tape usage and wear

Just set 'dumpcycle 0' (which says do a full backup of everything in the
disklist, every amdump) and 'tapecycle 999999' (telling amanda you have
lots and lots of tapes).  Search the archives for "archives, archival,
archiving" and the like for more details.

> -I have an Adic Fastor DLT4 seven tape changer. Has
> anyone had luck getting this to run (with changer) in
> amanda?

Amanda is a backup scheduler more than anything.  If your OS can work with
the changer, then amanda can.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering