Amanda-Users

Re: which tape changer for Qualtstar TLS-4210

2005-07-08 15:37:15
Subject: Re: which tape changer for Qualtstar TLS-4210
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: richc AT chem.utah DOT edu
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 14:28:16 -0500
--On Friday, July 08, 2005 15:03:52 -0400 Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke
DOT edu> wrote:

> Please keep responses on the list, so that everyone can chip in.
>
> On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 at 12:48pm, richc AT chem.utah DOT edu wrote
>
>> Quoting Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>:
>>

>> > What do you mean "mount a drive"?  You don't mount tape drives.
>>
>> by mount I mean load. For example.
>> mtx -f /dev/sg0 load  12 1
>>
>> # mtx -f /dev/sg0 unload  12 1
>> Unloading Data Transfer Element into Storage Element 12...mtx: Request Sense:
>> Long Report=yes
>> mtx: Request Sense: Valid Residual=no
>> mtx: Request Sense: Error Code=70 (Current)
>> mtx: Request Sense: Sense Key=Illegal Request
> *snip*
>> >
>> > In general, remember that you use 'mtx' to drive the robotics and 'mt' to
>> > drive the tape drive(s).
>>
>> Well, for me mt is another problem, I'm trying to find a way around this
>> issue.
>>

>> # mt -f /dev/sg1 status           (done as root)
>> /dev/sg1: Operation not permitted
>
> mt works on tape devices, not generic SCSI devices.  Try
> 'mt -f /dev/nst0'.
>
>> I'd thought the command:
>> # mtx -f /dev/sg0 unload  12 1
>> would not need to function together with mt.
>
> It depends on the loader (and, sometimes, the loader's firmware settings).
> Sometimes you can just send an 'unload' to the robot and it'll tell the
> tape drive to eject the tape, and sometimes you need to explicitly
> 'mt -f /dev/nst0 offline' before the 'mtx unload' will work.

My Qualstars (a TLS-4480 and a RLS-4445) need an offline command
to the drive before telling the changer to put away the tape. My
changer conf handles this by specifying 'needeject 1'.  I'm using
chg-qs-mtx, which is a modified chg-mtx. You may need to add a
'sleep' in between, since the mt command can return before the
tape is really unloaded.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673