Amanda-Users

Re: Input/output error on tape drive with amcheck...

2005-06-29 16:56:53
Subject: Re: Input/output error on tape drive with amcheck...
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 15:45:42 -0400
On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 02:37:34PM -0400, Guy Dallaire wrote:
> 2005/6/29, Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>:
> >
> > I set the value of tapecycle to less than the tapes actually in
> > rotation, 18 rather than 24 (6 per week).  Then if there is a bad
> > read, or simply like your case, something unexplained, amanda is
> > willing to use any of the 6 tapes least recently used.  So if there
> > is a bad read, for whatever reason, amanda goes to the next slot
> > to see if that tape is one of the 6.
> >

> Can I set that tapecycle value to 18 while my config is running ? Will
> it continue asking me for older tapes ?

Yes to both.

> If you could also tell me where you ended up putting "sleep" command
> in the mtx script, that would be nice of you.

It only partially worked, so I've backed them out.  In fact I think
an OS upgrade affected the need for them in my case.

Basically I considered any place there was a $MT or $MTX command.
If it seemed to be getting status I did not add any sleep time,
if it was doing manipulation (load/unload/rewind) I did.  Remember
to put the sleep in after the exit status is captured:

        $MT ...
        status=$?
        sleep #ofSec

I even had some quite long times, like 30 - 60 seconds.  But I was
never certain I was correcting anything.

Note, I was using chg-mtx, not chg-zd-mtx.  I believe the latter
has some sleeps builtin that default to 0 seconds but can be
set to other values in the config file.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)