Amanda-Users

Re: dumper5 pid 10813 is messed up, ignoring it

2005-06-17 03:50:30
Subject: Re: dumper5 pid 10813 is messed up, ignoring it
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Rebecca Pakish Crum <rebecca AT unterlaw DOT com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 09:33:07 +0200
Rebecca Pakish Crum wrote:
on 16.06.2005, 19:47 you wrote to amanda-users AT amanda DOT org:

Here's what I have: A server running amanda-2.4.4p4 running on RHE3 intel, and has been for a couple of years. A client running amanda-2.4.4p1 on Sol9, sparc.

Yeah, I thought about that, but if that were the problem, wouldn't it be
happening on my other 2.4.4p1 clients? I'm looking for a little bit more
information on what the problem could possibly be. What causes the
dumper to tank all of a sudden? If there's something else failing on
this box, I'd kind of like to know.

It seems you get this message when a dumper decides to send garbage
to the driver (instead of a limited set of commands), or quits
suddenly.  The last one is most probable.  If it dies, there could
be many reasons, some even hardware related, e.g. bad RAM, or software
related (e.g. out of open file descripters,  out of swap space, etc).

The fact that it only happend twice on the same host has maybe more to
do with the fact that is was trying to dump a level 0 dump, taking much
longer, and having a greater chance of being killed.

Notice that it is the dumper on the amandaserver that fouled up, not the
client sending the dumps.

* init 0, kill -9 1, Alt-F4, Ctrl-Alt-Del, AltGr-NumLock, Stop-A, ... *