Amanda-Users

DDS-3 tapetype ???

2005-06-17 01:12:19
Subject: DDS-3 tapetype ???
From: Michael D Schleif <mds AT helices DOT org>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 23:59:28 -0500
Earlier this year, my HP DAT tape drive had problems, and I replaced it
with a Compaq/Sony SDT-9000.  Mostly, I am still using the same DDS-3
tapes that I was using, and retired some and added some.  My old records
show that I was getting nearly the full 12GB uncompressed tape length.

Since the tape drive change, I have wondered why I didn't seem to be
getting all the data on some tapes.  Clearly, with Amanda, some days it
just doesn't want to send a full 12GB to tape; but, mostly, I have been
seeing <9GB going to tape, and balance sitting in holdingdisk.

Today, I did this:

    # time sudo -u backup amtapetype -e 12g -f /dev/nst0 -o
    Writing 32 Mbyte   compresseable data:  37 sec
    Writing 32 Mbyte uncompresseable data:  35 sec
    Estimated time to write 2 * 12288 Mbyte: 26880 sec = 7 h 28 min
    wrote 298832 32Kb blocks in 76 files in 10632 seconds (short write)
    wrote 310628 32Kb blocks in 158 files in 10840 seconds (short write)
    define tapetype unknown-tapetype {
        comment "just produced by tapetype prog (hardware compression off)"
        length 9522 mbytes
        filemark 0 kbytes
        speed 908 kps
    }