Amanda-Users

Re: Files attributes

2005-06-15 12:21:02
Subject: Re: Files attributes
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 12:10:46 -0400
On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 05:01:33PM +0200, Montagni, Giovanni wrote:
> Using amrecover is it possible to view files attributes without reestore data?
> For example, is possible to know the creation date of a file backed up 3 days
> ago? or if it was in read-only?

Unix systems do not store a "creation date" for a file.
The "ctime" entry is "inode 'c'hange time".  Initially
it matches the creation time, as do mtime and atime.
But if you change the permissions, rename/move the file,
lots of other things, ctime changes and no longer matches
the creation time.

Thus, to my knowledge, backup programs don't bother storing
the original files ctime as on recovery it can't be set to
match.

Permissions are stored in the backup file by dump and tar.
But they are not in any index that amanda maintains.  It
would be necessary to scan through the archive file with
the 'v'erbose option of the backup program to view them.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)