Amanda-Users

Re: [dump larger than tape, 2866960 KB, but cannot incremental dump new disk]

2005-06-15 11:36:30
Subject: Re: [dump larger than tape, 2866960 KB, but cannot incremental dump new disk]
From: Chuck Amadi Systems Administrator <chuck AT smtl.co DOT uk>
To: Amanda List <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 16:29:42 +0100
Hi

Just read the following about amanda?

"Amanda can not back up filesystems that are larger than the tape will
fit"

Amanda can not back up filesystems that are larger than the tape will
fit. I. e. Amanda can not span tapes. It is unclear whether this is a
bug or a feature. :-) Allowing spanning would make it difficult to
perform backup recovery with standard UNIX tools, i. e. without using
Amanda. One workaround is to make sure that all file systems are smaller
than the tape capacity. Another is to ask Amanda to back up individual
large directories as seperate Disk List Entries (DLEs). This can AFAIK
only be done using tar, not using dump.

One tape per day, 5 (week)days per week. We were doing all level zeros,
but one of the filesystems has grown too big to do this, so now we're
doing incrementals as well, with a level zero every other day for each
filesystem:

Thus time to look at the exclude list.

Cheers

--