Amanda-Users

Re: Howto commence using a previously used test tape into production cycle of tapes to backup root directory.

2005-06-14 07:10:46
Subject: Re: Howto commence using a previously used test tape into production cycle of tapes to backup root directory.
From: Chuck Amadi Systems Administrator <chuck AT smtl.co DOT uk>
To: Filip Rembiałkowski <filip AT kolmet.com DOT pl>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 12:04:03 +0100
Hi Great

I did see that note

Q: Why does `amcheck' say `cannot overwrite active tape'?

A: Because, if you configure Amanda to use N tapes, by setting
tapecycle to N in `amanda.conf', before Amanda overwrites a tape, it
must write to at least other N-1 tapes.  Of course, Amanda will always
refuse to overwrite a tape marked for `noreuse' with `amadmin'.
Furthermore, such tapes are not counted when Amanda computes `N-1'
tapes.

   If, for some reason, you want to tell Amanda to overwrite a
particular tape, regardless of its position in the cycle, use
`amrmtape'.  This command will remove this tape from the `tapelist'
file, that is used to manage the tape cycle, and will delete
information about backups stored in that tape from the Amanda
database.

Cheers

--
Unix/ Linux Systems Administrator