Amanda-Users

RE: amdump waits forever for estimates from one host

2005-06-12 01:57:34
Subject: RE: amdump waits forever for estimates from one host
From: "Lengyel, Florian" <FLengyel AT gc.cuny DOT edu>
To: "'Frank Smith '" <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>, "Lengyel, Florian" <FLengyel AT gc.cuny DOT edu>, "''amanda-users AT amanda DOT org' '" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 01:44:54 -0400

> These are the errors (slightly edited
> Subject: CUNY Graduate Center AMANDA MAIL REPORT FOR June 11, 2005
>
> *** A TAPE ERROR OCCURRED: [new tape not found in rack].

Amanda is looking for a new tape, so evidently you have fewer tapes
labeled than what is specified in tapecycle.  You can have more than
that labeled, but Amanda won't reuse an existing tape until at least
that many have been written.

I have 30 tapes labeled, and /etc/amanda/Daily/amanda.conf reads

tapecycle 30 tapes      # the number of tapes in rotation

my tapelist says:

20050611 Daily030 reuse
20050611 Daily002 reuse
20050611 Daily001 reuse
0 Daily029 reuse
0 Daily028 reuse
0 Daily027 reuse
0 Daily026 reuse
0 Daily025 reuse
0 Daily024 reuse
0 Daily023 reuse
0 Daily022 reuse
0 Daily021 reuse
0 Daily020 reuse
0 Daily019 reuse
0 Daily018 reuse
0 Daily017 reuse
0 Daily016 reuse
0 Daily015 reuse
0 Daily014 reuse
0 Daily013 reuse
0 Daily012 reuse
0 Daily011 reuse
0 Daily010 reuse
0 Daily009 reuse
0 Daily008 reuse
0 Daily007 reuse
0 Daily006 reuse
0 Daily005 reuse
0 Daily004 reuse
0 Daily003 reuse

Maybe, maybe not.  Just because you see this message doesn't actually
mean there are any.  You can check for files in your holding disk or
run amflush and see (although in the past, Amanda used to mark a tape
as used when running an amflush even if nothing was there to flush.
Perhaps that was fixed in newer versions).

Your 'reserve' parameter is set too high for a level 0 dump to go
to holdingdisk when you have no tape.  Possibly it is at its default
value of 100 which means no fulls will occur without a tape.  Evidently
there was no previous level 0, so Amanda can't do an incremental to
disk since there is no previous level 0 to increment against.
  If you have adequate holding disk space, you night want to set this
lower. The idea of the parameter is that if your tape drive fails you
want to maximize the number of days you can still run backups by not
filling your holding disk with level 0s.  The real problem of using
'100' asa value is that new DLE's won't get backed up at ll.

Frank

I want to resolve this tape trouble before dumping anything to the holding
disk.
I labelled 30 tapes, Daily001 to Daily030. My tapecycle is 30.
This is a new setup -- there have been no successful level 0 dumps so far.

After I get one, I might wipe everything out and start over. three tapes
seem to have been
"used" but it seems as if nothing was written to them.

FL