Amanda-Users

Re: amcheck permission denied

2005-06-09 11:24:24
Subject: Re: amcheck permission denied
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 11:11:43 -0400
On Thursday 09 June 2005 10:14, uwe.kaufmann AT infoconsult DOT nu wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>The picture is clear now. Thank you for the explanations!
>
>amcheck does not use any suid-root mechanism and therefore she can't
> check directories, which are restricted to users. I will add the
> x-bit to allow amanda to see the directories.
>
>amdump uses runtar with suid-root and can do the backup :-)

And I'm left wondering if the build was correct.  One should always
build amanda as an unpriviledged user, such as 'amanda' who is a
member of the group 'disk' or 'backup' etc.  Only when amanda has
been built this way, will all the perms be properly set when one
becomes root to type "make install".  And recently, I'm finding that
an "ldconfig", run as root, is also required after installing a new
snapshot.

But if the as user build, then as root install isn't done, all sorts
of permission problems will usually result.

>Best regards
>Uwe
>
>> > Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
>> > --------------------------------
>> > ERROR: nike: [could not access /samba/USERS/silu
>>
>> (/samba/USERS/silu):
>> > Permission denied]
>> > ERROR: nike: [could not access /samba/USERS/kfm
>> > (/samba/USERS/kfm): Permission denied]
>> > Client check: 1 host checked in 10.042 seconds, 2 problems found
>> > (brought to you by Amanda 2.4.4p3)

>Virus checked by G DATA AntiVirusKit
>Virus news: www.antiviruslab.com

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)