Amanda-Users

Re: Change from testing disklist /etc to production disklist /sda2

2005-06-08 12:39:32
Subject: Re: Change from testing disklist /etc to production disklist /sda2
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: Amanda List <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 12:15:08 -0400
On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 04:06:40PM +0100, Chuck Amadi Systems Administrator
wrote:
> Hi
>
> Whats is the best way to commence setting up my tapes as I have started
> labelling them but test tape DailySet1 has test data and I want to to
> change the directory to backup from disklist /etc to /dev/sda2

amrmtape followed by amlabel should do it I think

> Thus test was ~amanda<configDir>/disklist
>
> sever.domain.co.uk /etc comp-root-tar # backup all /dev/sda2

Generally /etc is not a separate file system.
Was the comment incorrect?

> I want to change to server.domain.co.uk sda2 comp-sda2-tar

Tar does not backup devices, only directory trees.  Amanda,
when it sees a device used with tar tries to figure out the
appropriate directory.  Generally it does so correctly, but
why chance it.  Give the actual starting directory instead
of sda2 or /dev/sda2.  I'm guessing /dev/sda2 is your root
file system.  In that case, backup "/".

Note, tar is given options by amanda to prevent it crossing
file system boundries.  So backing up / does not backup the
entier system, just the root file system.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)