Amanda-Users

Re: sendbackup speed issue

2005-06-06 11:31:01
Subject: Re: sendbackup speed issue
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Chris Loken <cloken AT cita.utoronto DOT ca>
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 17:19:19 +0200
Chris Loken wrote:

I have one amanda server and one client. I have 2 separate amanda configs to backup different DLEs on the client.

The problem is that backups with one config seem to be much slower than the other. The amanda tar files on the holding disk are being created at about 10MB/s with one config and 1MB/s for the other config. The tape writes are fine - it's the creation/transfer of the backup from client to server that is at issue.

You still have 4.4 MB/s for some server with large DLE in the "slow" category too. And that's not too bad for a 100 Mbit ethernet interface
either.

A good tool to dig into this problem is amplot:

        amplot -e amdump.1

It shows a lot of information.  E.g. it could be holdingdisk that
is full, pausing some backup, and making it's average throughput go down.

If you need help interpreting the output, send a xbm or gif or ps to me.