Amanda-Users

Re: dealing w/ huge data backups

2005-06-02 18:15:52
Subject: Re: dealing w/ huge data backups
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Cameron Matheson <cmatheson3 AT yahoo DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 16:59:54 -0500
--On Thursday, June 02, 2005 14:12:45 -0700 Cameron Matheson <cmatheson3 AT
yahoo DOT com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> my amanda configuration is very simple, but running
> smooth.  as i continue to add more clients, i'm
> starting to wonder what the best way to go about
> things are... so far my 'runtapes' parameter is set to
> 1.  many systems should be able to fit on one tape
> (i'm using hw compression on tapes that hold a little
> over 100GB w/ no compression).  Anyway, the problem
> now is that i need to back up a system  that is
> 120GB.... i can split that up no problem (i'm just
> using tar anyway), but the question is would it be
> better to just bump up the 'runtapes' parameter to 2
> or 3 tapes, or should i come up w/ a whole new
> configuration for this larger server (that sounds like
> a pain to me).  thanks for the input,

Unless you need something special for the new machine (such
as a different schedule or odd requirements for data retention)
it's easiest to just increase runtapes to 2.  A separate config
would cause you to use two tapes anyway (one for each config)
so the separate config wouldn't use fewer tapes.  Also, runtapes
of two would allow your existing data to grow past one tape's
capacity and still only use two tapes total even with the new client.

Frank