Amanda-Users

Re: making progress...

2005-05-27 16:23:58
Subject: Re: making progress...
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Matheson Cameron <cmatheson3 AT yahoo DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 15:03:19 -0500
--On Friday, May 27, 2005 10:49:09 -0700 Matheson Cameron <cmatheson3 AT yahoo
DOT com> wrote:

> Ok, my amanda set up is coming along... amanda will
> now back up my computer (i've only configured this one
> client for testing purposes), but there are still some
> things that i don't understand.  here's the output
> from amcheck.log:
>
> Amanda Tape Server Host Check
> -----------------------------
> Holding disk /var/tmp: 13625172 KB disk space
> available, using 12576596 KB
> amcheck-server: slot 2: date 20050526 label
> DailySet1000 (active tape)
> amcheck-server: slot 3: date 20050526 label
> DailySet1000 (active tape)
> amcheck-server: slot 4: chg-multi: slot is empty
> amcheck-server: slot 5: date 20050526 label
> DailySet1000 (active tape)
> amcheck-server: slot 6: date 20050526 label
> DailySet1000 (active tape)
> amcheck-server: slot 7: date 20050526 label
> DailySet1000 (active tape)
> ,,,
> amcheck-server: slot 1: date 20050526 label
> DailySet1000 (active tape)
> ERROR: new tape not found in rack
>        (expecting a new tape)
>
> Out of the 30 slots i have in my tape-changer, i only
> have 17 loaded... but amanda sees DailySet1000 in all
> 30 slots... why is that?

I didn't see anyone else respond, so I'll jump in with a guess.
Are you sure your  changer script works properly?  Can you
watch the changer while running amcheck and see if it actually
loads every tape?  My guess is that you are just re-reading
the label off the same tape 30 times.

> also, this isn't totally related to amanda, but i'm
> still trying to learn this whole tape-drive thing...
> my tape-changer has two tape drives in it, nts0 and
> nts1.  i can do everything w/ nts0, but if i try to do
> anything w/ nts1 (mt -f /dev/nts1 tell, for example),
> i get an i/o error.  any clues?

Perhaps your OS doesn't see all the devices.  Linux kernels,
for example, need the option set to scan for multiple LUNS
(CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN=y) or it will only detect the first
device.
   You should be able to manually control your drives and changer
before trying to debug Amanda, since if the mt (or mtx or whatever)
commands fail, Amanda won't be able to work.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673