Amanda-Users

Questions about clean tape

2005-05-18 07:16:33
Subject: Questions about clean tape
From: Rodrigo Ventura <yoda AT isr.ist.utl DOT pt>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 12:02:55 +0100
Hi. I'm using a HP DAT 72x6, which has 6 slots. The unit came with 5
DAT's 36/72 GB and a clean tape, all inserted in the cartidge.

What is the common procedure with regard with cleaning tapes? I
suppose I'll have to check the unit regularly to see whether it needs
cleaning. Is there anyone using an automated procedure, such as a cron
to load the clean every month, or something like that.

But if there is no automated procedure, maybe it's a good idea to
remove the clean tape from slot 6, and put a sixth 36/72 GB DAT. On
the one hand, it'd be easier to load the clean tape straight from the
already loaded cartrige, but on the other, an extra 36/72 DAT could
give me a bit of extra space (or spare tape, in case something goes
wrong with a couple of dumps).

What are your thoughts on this matter?

Cheers,

Rodrigo

--

*** Rodrigo Martins de Matos Ventura <yoda AT isr.ist.utl DOT pt>
***  Web page: http://www.isr.ist.utl.pt/~yoda