Amanda-Users

Re: using HD as tape

2005-05-17 09:54:25
Subject: Re: using HD as tape
From: Vlad Popa <vlad.popa AT sbg.ac DOT at>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 15:31:49 +0200
Hi!

Cedric BRINER schrieb:

Hi,

I'm currently using HD as tape. But this HD are spread around all my boxes: One
by workstation and they are always connected.

I was thinking to use removable HD that I can hot un/pluged, and to place them
in a safe.

Does the HD technology allow such kind of use:
- one day of use
- unmountig it
- keeping it disconnected for a 2 month in a safe (like backup's tape)
- remountig it
..
..
I was one thinking about the same.. changing the tapes for the benefit of laptop disks ..

You could use the vtape file driver and for backups. Assuming you have one-partition-and-filesystem-disks, I'd label the disks by the filesystem (if using ext2/3) and set specific differing mountpoints for the filesystem-label in the fstab. (aka label=mydisk1 </here/goes/lady_amandas/mountpoint1> <mountoptions> <dumps, etc.. > ; label=mydisk2 ... ...). See the Amanda's documentation file-driver-howto for the mountig treestructure ..(Chapter 13 )

After ensuring that your disks get mounted automatically (by hotplug or other distrib-tool ) into the right place and with the appropriate rights needed for amanda write and read from you could label the disks-tapes with amlabel and get the file-driver-scenario working (Chapter 13 ).

One problem I see is you have to unmount the drives by hand .. or use automount ? The other problem might be: What happens, when someone is unplugging the disk during it is accessed by amanda for backups or it is mounted? What makes you shure the data written is really on disk ? This is not quite the quite idiot-proof-system a backup solution should be. On the other hand it should be hard to detach a fixed non-usb disk out of a attended server most of the time..

I Think it requires you quite a number of same-capacity laptop-disks for this job to be done. It would not be cheaper than the tape or the big-disk-solution in general ...

Greetings

Vlad Popa