Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda exclusion: is amanda (gnutar) able to differentiate between direcoty and file names ?

2005-05-16 22:52:03
Subject: Re: Amanda exclusion: is amanda (gnutar) able to differentiate between direcoty and file names ?
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 22:28:56 -0400
On Mon, May 16, 2005 at 08:14:14AM -0400, Guy Dallaire wrote:
> 2005/5/15, Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>:
> >
> > It sounds as if you believe an exclude pattern of "./foo" will
> > exclude any file and/or directory containing the string 'foo'.
> > Not so, "./foo" will only match, and only exclude one item.
> > It may be a file called 'foo' under the mount point or it
> > may be a directory in the same location.  If 'foo' is a file,
> > that is all that is excluded.  If 'foo' is a directory, then
> > the directory and everything under it is excluded.  No other
> > directories or files are affected.
> >

> Ah !
>
> The doc says:
>
> ---------------------
> Exclude any file or directory that ends in ".log" e.g. ppp.log, XFree86.0.log
>
> ./*.log
>
> Exclude any file or directory with the string "log" e.g. logfile,
> maillog, syslog, ppp.log, XFree86.0.log
>
> */*log*
>
> Exclude any file or directory that starts with string "cron" and ends
> in ".gz" e.g. cron.1.gz, cron.2.gz, log/cron.1.gz
>
> ./*cron*.gz
> --------------
>
> You mean those examples will NOT work in a directory other than "."
> (The DLE i'm backing up) ?
>
> There is noy way to tell amanda to skip all files ending in ".mp3" for
> example, whatever the directory they may reside in ?

You diagram looked like "oradata" was at the top level.
None of my examples included the "*" wild card.

   ./oradata
   ./*oradata
   ./*/oradata

are patterns with different meanings.

The first and third will not exclude anything except items exactly
named "oradata" but at different levels.  The second works on items
whose name ends in "oradata".  This of course includes oradata exactly.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)