Amanda-Users

Re: Simple "rendezvous" mechanism before starting backup ?

2005-05-16 14:34:16
Subject: Re: Simple "rendezvous" mechanism before starting backup ?
From: Alexander Jolk <alexj AT buf DOT com>
To: Guy Dallaire <clepeterd AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 20:25:59 +0200
Guy Dallaire wrote:

I'm planning to run a wrapper for amdump instead of amdump. This
wrapper would essentially wait for all the clients clients to "tell"
they're ready, and then either time out or start the real amdup.

You are aware that amdump won't start the real backup
on all the clients at once?  Depending on the volume
of your data, you might end up stopping your amanda clients'
services for far longer than necessary.  The suggestions for
wrapper scripts that have been proposed several times on the
list, wait for the real data sending phase before stopping services.

Does anyone have a good suggestion ? Is there a SIMPLE tool that is
usable over the network to permit simple message based communication
protocol between a server and "clients" ?

Why don't you leverage amanda's existing communications infrastructure for that purpose? That seems simpler to me than whipping up a second channel, even if it should be rather easy to do with netcat or perl.

Alex

--
Alexander Jolk         /         BUF Compagnie
tel +33-1 42 68 18 28 /  fax +33-1 42 68 18 29