Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda and LVM-based Linux installations

2005-05-13 22:23:25
Subject: Re: Amanda and LVM-based Linux installations
From: Arrigo Triulzi <arrigo.triulzi AT gmail DOT com>
To: Michael Loftis <mloftis AT wgops DOT com>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 04:10:28 +0200
That works fine as long as your'e using dump, but you'll need to have a backup device with media atleast 158Gb in size, and as your larger filesystem fills, a device capable of storing 450+Gb.... AMANDA currently can't split DLEs across tapes, dumpe2fs is also potentially unreliable and quite a few 'in the know' refuse to use it and instead insist GNU Tar is a far better option.

Great, so it sounds like disaster all around... Well, it seems to be working at the moment and there's an SDLT320 at the receiving end which should cope at least at the moment with the files. My main requirement is to see if using Amanda was viable and it seems to be which is excellent.

I'm not aware of the specifics with dumpe2fs because I only use tar (reiserfs filesystems) but have heard that it's not really well supported.

It sounds like moving over to using tar would be a good idea for me too so that's tomorrow's job. Now it is 3am and definitely time to go home and get some sleep.

Thanks,

Arrigo