Amanda-Users

Still evaluating amanda, more questions

2005-05-12 09:24:49
Subject: Still evaluating amanda, more questions
From: Guy Dallaire <clepeterd AT gmail DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 09:06:47 -0400
Hi,

I received great suggestions from people on this list. Thanks to all.
One of those suggestion involved using 3 or 4 "sets" of tapes to be
able to keep a copy of the backup "off site"

For example, if I use 5 tapes per week and my dumpcylce is one week, I
could keep a set locally to do my backups on, another in a file
cabinet, another at a remote site.

I will probably have more than 4 "sets" of tapes.

My question is:

If I use indexing, is it easy to be able to recover a specific
"version" of a faile ? Say, file "xyz" has been modified often and
exists on 5 different tapes, all at different dates, and I need to
restore files from a particular date (not the latest), is there an
utility in amanda that can show me all the "versions" of the file so I
can restore exactly the one I want ?

Also, is there a way in amanda to "erase" a tape, and remove it from
amanda's database inventory and amanda's index ? If, for example, I
have introduced a lot of new tapes in the rotation, and I need to
reduce it, can I do it ?

Is there a way to determine which tape is "out of date" and can be
safely "removed" from the rotation ?

THANKS A LOT, AGAIN !